Sunday, November 27, 2011

Elf on the Shelf's Arrival!

Our doorbell rang at about 6:00 and it was our "Elf on the Shelf."  This is the first year our family has been lucky enough to have an elf visit.  
I missed most of the the arrival, but picked up the camera shortly after she arrived.

 While Paige got acquainted with her, mommy read the letter that the elf left in the bag. 

 With popcorn ready and blankets adjusted we settled into our movie to learn
about the "Elf on the Shelf." 



We learned that the after the elf is named she gets her magic.  We named ours "Sugar."  Sugar will watch our family all day to make sure we are being kind and keeping the Christmas spirit. Each night after the family is sleeping she flies back to the North Pole to report to Santa.  Each morning the kids have to find the new place where Sugar decided to land for the  day.  After the movie we also learned that if the Elf is touched she will lose her magic -  oops - guess we shouldn't have snuggled with her during the movie!  Easily fixed - mommy explained that the elf couldn't be touched after her first flight to the North Pole - which is tonight. So after the movie, we decided that this is where she would sit until her first flight back to the North Pole.

If you're not familiar with Elf on the Shelf - just Google it!  If you are familiar with it, you'll notice that our family's elf isn't an "original"  The original elf comes in a gift set with a book for $30.00. I didn't want to spend that much money, especially after I realized that CBS was airing the movie for the first time this year.  So instead I bought the "plush"version for $12.00 and included the movie and a bag of popcorn for our Elf's Arrival!

For now the Magic is here.  Paige immediately wanted to go to bed after the movie so that Sugar could make her first flight back to Santa. Her exact words were, "Mom my head just keeps telling me, Paige go to bed, Paige go to bed."  She is also very concerned about Parker touching Sugar and making her  lose her magic.  I convinced her that Sugar is a smart elf and will probably only land in places she is unreachable by Parker and Gunner.

We'll see how long the magic lasts, and how many different places I can come up with for Sugar to land!

1 comments:

Erin Baumgarten said...

Your kids will have so much fun with the Elf. Our Elf arrived today too, but not quite with as much pizzazz as yours. Great idea with the movie and popcorn. I debated doing the whole idea, since my kids are getting to be close to the age of figuring things out, but I knew Jay would still enjoy it.

BIT... someone must have been listening and our Elf arrived (without me knowing anything) on our door when we came home from the lake tonight. We had a fun supper of pizza and floats as we read the book. OUrs did not come with the DVD so I will have to find our when it is going to air on tv or we may have to purchase it.

I hope you all make some amazing memories with your new friend, I know we will