Monday, July 9, 2012

Parker Turned Three!

Mommy's Late with your birthday post....by almost a month - YIKES!!!


Three is a big year buddy!  I can tell already that you are going to try and sneak out of toddler-hood and into preschool -hood as fast as your little feet will take you. You are constantly asking daddy and I , "I bigger yet?" You long for the days you get to play t-ball like Paige, drive daddy's work truck, and drink coffee :)  But along with your third birthday you did accomplish one thing you were waiting to get bigger for - getting a big boy bike.  You took off the moment you jumped on and you haven't looked back since.  I have a feeling you are going to do that a lot with the goals you set out to accomplish - you will go for it and never look back!

Two has been a great year. You are constantly making us laugh with your silly comments, funny faces, and crazy ideas you have.  You personality is hard to describe to people because you are also such a serious boy.  I think that's what makes you so funny sometimes because the funniest things come out of the most serious little mouth and it's totally unexpected! You are quiet and distant around people you do not know well, but once people get to know you - you NEVER stop talking!

You LOVE babies and love to kiss and hug them.  This trait started at daycare with your baby friends, but was pushed to the limit when you met your little cousin Leah.  You shower her daily with more kisses and hugs than anyone could ever need or want! I hope this personality trait tames a bit before kindergarten or we are going to be in big trouble.

Along with babies you love to be with the big kids.  As I watched you this weekend with your "big" cousins it was fun to see you interact with them.  You want to do what they do, make them laugh, and be as silly as possible so they pay attention to you. Lucky for you - they love to play with you and make you feel like you're just like them :)

Another thing that would probably surprise people about you is your temper.  Most of the time you are laid back and go with the flow, but there is a temper within you that bubbles over fast and makes a mess very quickly.  We have had our fair share of melt downs and face-offs over the past year.  The good news is that you normally snap out of them as quickly as they come on. Screaming, body thrashing, and hitting are all common during these "little" meltdowns. They usually end with you in your room alone screaming until you get sidetracked with another activity.

Speaking of meltdowns the root of 75% of them is your relationship with your sister. It has been a rough year for you two as you each learn your place in this family together.  Sharing is usually the culprit, but followed with a close second is your ability to try and get your sisters attention in all of the WRONG ways.  Most bystanders can see your attempts to get her to pay attention to you, but all she sees is an annoying little "bother."  There are those moments though - when I catch you two playing nicely together and enjoying each other's company.  Though few and far between those moments give me hope that when worse comes to worse you will be there for each other always.

You learned many new things this year:  how to use the potty (not to mention how to pee on trees, in lakes, pretty much anywhere in nature), how to ride your bike, how to ride your scooter, how to count to twenty, how to sing your abc's, how to write a "P", all of your shapes, you also completed your first class of swimming lessons, and the list goes on an on.

You learn on your own time and although you have moments of concentration - they are not long.  You would much rather learn through experiences like playing trucks in the sand and boats in the water. You also are my "why" child.  I can't even count how many times a day you ask me "why."  I've learned the only way to shut you down is to answer your question with a question.  Then you get bored and change your activity :)

Parker you add joy to our lives everyday and I love it that almost everyone comments on your  "unique and quirky" personality.  I have never met another person that can find a way to fit the "chicken butt" joke into so many normal conversations :)  I can't wait to see what this year brings to you and your personality.    With you in our lives we are guaranteed that our lives will be filled with laughter!  I love you buddy!

1 comments:

Tiff said...

So sweet, like always! You are such a good writer Nikki!