I know I say this every year, but I can't believe you are seven years old. This birthday seemed a little harder to swallow than five or six, I guess that seven just seems so old to your mommy. But in all reality, you have changed and grown up so much this year that I shouldn't be so surprised by the number.
Physically you have changed in many ways. You have grown at least two inches, and that is just since school started in August. You have lost 4 teeth and your mouth and smile show those changes so well. We're hoping that smile fills in nicely, because right now it looks as though braces are surely in our future :) You have definite opinions about how you want to look now so your hair is long and usually left down - which drives your mom crazy. Our deal is that you have to take care of it or I get to cut it. We fight many mornings because I want to put your hair back and you don't. Whether I win or lose, I ALWAYS see you in the hallway at school at lunchtime with your hair DOWN. You must have quite the collection of ponytail holders in your desk :)
Your opinions and ideas have grown strong this year. You know what you like, it's often what your friends also like, and you and I often don't share the same opinions. You have grown interested in music this year. One Direction, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, and most top-forty hits can be heard coming from your kindle. You like to watch the videos and sing along - your cousin Kennedey is to "blame" for this habit and she is also to blame you obsession with One Direction. Zayne is your favorite, but it's not because you think he's the cutest - you could care less about that yet - it's because you have a cousin with the same name.
You love school, but even more than school , you LOVE your teacher. You try to be just like her, wearing your hair like her, wearing scarfs like she does, and talking to your brother like I'm assuming she talks to you in school. I love the fact that because your teacher and I are friends you too feel like you know her on a personal level. At home you often refer to her by her first name, her husband (whom you've never met) by his name, and of course you feel you know her daughter, Adlee better than most people. With that being said, you are a great student. You are a very smart little girl, and when you are working hard I'm amazed at how much you have already learned. Math is you favorite and it comes very easily to you, but you are a good little reader too. Your teacher has had nothing but good things to say about you in school, and mom and dad are always happy to hear that. I hope that your love of school continues for many years to come.
You and your brother have become like oil and water this year. He bugs you more than ever and because of that you are quick to talk rudely to him and have very little patience for him. This in turn makes him want to bug you more, and thus the circle of life continues. It's harder and harder to find those moments that you two get along and play nicely together. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that as he gets older, he's less likely to let you boss him around without putting up more of a fight. I do know that you guys love each other because sometimes I force you to tell each other - kidding :) Actually i do still see glimpses of kindness to each other, and sometimes I find you playing nicely together on a weekend afternoon, but I'm hoping those moment continue to multiply in the next year.
You and I spend a lot more time butting heads as well, but what bothers me most is the fact that I know we struggle because WE ARE EXACTLY THE SAME. We have many eye rolling, power struggle, door slamming moments, punishment threatening moments. Sadly, you bring out the worst in my parenting skills, and you know how to flip that switch so easily with your mom. Your dad often has to remind me of the fact that we are exactly the same, and bring me back down to earth after dealing with you :) Speaking of your dad, you two still have a great bond that I am often jealous of. You two get along and share a lot of the same interests and can have so much fun doing nothing at all. He is so much better at getting you to accomplish goals that mommy and you end up in a power-struggle over. He has this way with you that gets through to you in a way I can't. I often think that maybe thats why your daddy and I make such a great team - he understands you because dealing with you is a lot like dealing with your mom.
Your room is still a disaster EVERY day, you sleep with at least 15 items a night (stuffed animals, hair products, barbies, you just never know what you're going to find under your covers). You would keep EVERYTHING if I would let you. This drives your dad and I crazy, but it really doesn't seem to phase you.
We have spent a lot of time this year trying to get you interested in different activities and sports. You often don't want to join activities because new things cause a lot of stress and anxiety in you. We talk a lot about how we can't choose do nothing because we're too scared to try new things. So often mommy forces her hand a little in hopes that you don't hate the things she signs you up for too much. But you are in dance and LOVE it. Your dad really wanted you to be interested in basketball, but it's just not happening. You are in a running club and training for the Fargo Marathon 5K in May, and this has been great because it gives you something to work on with dad. You are also going to try soccer in the spring. You still LOVE to swim, and are quite the little fish already. You no longer wear any flotation devices and can easily swim the length of most pools.
You are growing up to be quite the sweet young lady, and I often get compliments on how kind you are. That makes your mommy so proud. You are fun to be around, and often say things that make your daddy and I laugh - then you laugh along as if that was your intention from the start. You are growing up so fast, but I love the young girl you are growing into. Happy Birthday Paige Morgan - I'm so lucky that I've gotten to be your mom for seven years and I'm sure we have many more happy years of arguing to come!




2 comments:
I love how you write your letters, Nikki. Great keepsakes for you and for Paige!
Happy belated birthday, Paige!
happy birthday paige! Looks like your party was awesome!! love how u wrote about her-makes me think i know her even though we dont see get to see you guys much.
Post a Comment