Friday, February 24, 2012
Happy 6th Birthday Paige Morgan
I watched as Paige sat at her new vanity this morning and combed her hair. She looked in the mirror and smiled as she positioned her clip just right in her hair. I had to do a double take - where has the time gone. In front of that mirror sits my proud six year old, but what I see is still the toddler that has all of my jewelry dumped on the hallway floor with six of my necklaces draped over her head.
Your fifth year of life was blessed with happiness. You took a trip on an airplane to visit grandma and grandpa in Arizona, you spent many weekends at the lake with both mommy and daddy's side of the family. You became a big cousin to your first cousin on mommy's side of the family when sweet Leah was born. - but those are just a few of the highlights....
You also started kindergarten this year. Mom and Dad couldn't be more proud of you because you not only love school, but you love learning in general. You are reading more and more words every day, you can tell time to the hour, you know the value of the coins, and every day you come home with facts about history and other things. Last week you shared lots of information about President Lincoln and President Washington with daddy and I at the dinner table. But more importantly than the facts I am proud of the young lady I see in the hallways at school everyday. You are well-behaved and kind to your friends and teacher. On more than one occasion, I have heard from other adults that you are a very sweet little girl and that I should be proud to be you mommy. Trust me - I am.
Being at school has taught you more about pop culture and the social scene as well. It's fun to watch as you explore new words that you hear your friends say, want to dress in a certain way because kids at school do, and even want you lunch packed a certain way because your friends do. Now I'm not saying that I want you to always follow the crowd and do things because "everyone else" is doing it, but I am excited at your realization that you are not the sole star in the universe :) It's also fun to see you sing songs on the radio that you and your friends like (totally wrong words most of the time by the way), use slang sayings (also often used incorrectly but still cute), and want an outfit because it's cool and your friends will love it too.
Unfortunately the sweet girl you tend to be at school doesn't always come home with us in the evening. School tires you out, makes you hungry, and turns you into a DRAMA QUEEN a lot of evenings. You have very little patience for anyone who crosses you path in the 3-5 o'clock hours. And guess who is often dead center in your path - your little "bother" I mean brother. Now I know that it goes both ways, and that it is not just you creating the drama, but I hope that your sixth year of life brings you a new sense of kindness towards your brother. Most days are spent with you two arguing over toys, furniture, mom and dad's attention, and pretty much everything else. Every once and awhile, like tonight at the swimming pool though, I get a reminder that between all of the fights and arguing you really do love each other. These occasional incidents during which you are kind to each other, play together, and enjoy each others company warms my heart - just enough to get me through the other 90% of your lives that you are fighting.
Although we have spent less time this year in organized activites, you still kept very busy. In the fall we tried basketball, and although you fought us about going every week for five weeks, I really think you enjoyed it. The minute you got there you had fun and you were good at it, but then the next week we'd have the same fight again?? This summer you passed level 1 in swimming lessons as well - that means you can hopefully save yourself from drowning if the need arises :) You can keep yourself afloat, you love to be underwater now, and are even spending a lot of time trying tricks that keep your head closer to the bottom of the pool instead of the top. You also attended and loved cheerleading camp this year, although dad is still in denial about this interest! You love to spend time at the gym these days as well; playing basketball with dad, running around the track, playing racquetball, and exercising with dad.
You don't take naps anymore -EVER-, but you are usually the first one to fall asleep at night. We often wake up in the morning and find you sleeping on the couch because you had a bad dream. Mom loves it that you are so well trained though and don't even bother waking her up any more :) You just grab a pillow and blanket, snuggle up on the couch upstairs, and go back to sleep. Then in the morning you usually don't even remember the dream that brought you upstairs in the first place.
You are still filled with worry about things that most people don't stress about; going to the dentist, people dressed in costumes, getting you nails painted at a salon, and going to the doctor - are just a few that are fresh in my mind. We have learned that waiting until the last minute to tell you that a new experience is approaching is the way to go. The more time you have to think, process, and worry, the worse it ends up being. You lose sleep, get tummy aches, shed lots of tears, and pretty much lose all sense of logic. It may seem mean to keep these sorts of things from you, but your level of anxiety increases with time and we have learned it's better to just throw you in and and ask for forgiveness later.
Well that about sums up year five!
Oh but one more thing...Paige Morgan, your dad and I are thankful every day that we we chosen to be your parents and watch you grow up. I hate to blink my eyes because that six year old combing her hair at her vanity that I saw this morning is going to keep growing and I'm not sure I'm ready for that to keep happening.
I love you sweet girl and happy birthday!
Previous Birthday Posts.....
Paige's Fifth Birthday
Paige's Fourth Birthday
Paige's Third Birthday
Written by Unknown at 9:14 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Happy Birthday Paige!!! I'm glad you are enjoying the vanity from Leah!! I am excited to see what year 6 brings!! Love, Chas
Wow.. this is so sweet Nikki! You are so great with words and sum up Paige so well! Really GREAT post! Happy Birthday Paige!
Grandma and Grandpa say.
Where have the years gone?
You will always be our little Princess.
Happy Belated 6th Birthday Miss Paige! You are growing into a beautiful little lady!
Post a Comment