Happy 4th Birthday Parker!
You came up the stairs this morning with your super hero cape and mask on, you stopped, looked at me in all seriousness, and said "Mom, I noticed it's windy out, so I'm going to go outside and try to fly." And so you did - as I watched from the window I noticed so many things that I have come to love about you and the way you "work", and of course some things that drive me crazy on a daily basis.
First, you stood on the deck and just watched the things around you. You didn't say anything, but you looked at the sky and did a circle just watching. Parker, you are such a thinker. Every day I can watch your wheels turn inside your head as you make connections about the world around you. You spend a lot of you time in new places and around new people very quietly - just watching and learning.
After you circled watching the sky - you looked to the window and said, "Mom how should I do this?" Parker, you like to try an easy route out of a problem if you can. When I told you to just try your best you started asking questions like, "Should I run first?" Parker you ask a lot of great questions - some times too many :) And when you don't understand the answer you ask the same question only louder as if that will help you understand. As your mind starts to make connections, you try to talk about it to anyone that will listen. Sometimes it takes - A LONG TIME - to get your thoughts out verbally but you get there and the words come - people just have to be patient and listen carefully.
After talking things through with me, you came up with a plan that you decided was bound to work. By this point you sister was in on the plan as well. Together, you walked down to the yard where you decided that having more room to have a running start would be the best idea. Parker you are such a good little brother. You have all of the qualities that it takes to do the "little brother" job correctly; copying your sister when she does anything, taking stuff from her room, doing things just to annoy her, but during all of this looking up to her and wanting to spend your entire day hanging out with her and letting her boss you around.
You came in the house unexpectedly and I asked what you were doing and you explained that you needed your "super-fast running shoes or this wasn't going to work." So off you went and a two minutes later you were back outside with your "super-fast running shoes" to test the hypothesis. Parker you are so full of life. Just watching you makes me tired. You go at full speed 75% of the time, but when you are ready to crash you crash fast and hard. You can go from wide awake to asleep in less that 35 seconds and when you sleep you sleep hard.
It is not long before I hear you and your sister arguing. I hear you're famous words (actually I'm pretty sure they originated with me), "Paige-y don't worry about me," She stomps up the stairs and you're left at the bottom watching her leave. Parker you are so hot tempered. You blow-up fast and you do it in loud way. Once you blow - there is little room for recovery.
You try one more time "on your own" but when you don't end up in flight - the tears come. Parker you have a very low tolerance for frustration. Once we lose you it is a good five minutes before you gain perspective again. There is usually lots of tears, yelling, and sometimes hitting and even kicking involved as well. I once though it was the"terrible twos" then the "troublesome threes" but this trait seems to linger so I think we'll just settle for calling it the "Dschaak Temper."
After I give you your space for about two minutes of a frustrated whining, "But mom I really want to fly" conversation, I redirect you and remind you that you need to get your trunks on for swimming lessons. You look at me, stop crying and fussing, a big smile crosses your face, and you say, "Mom don't forget me goggles today okay." You are so forgiving and loving - Parker you do not hold a grudge. Your temper subsides as quickly as it arrives, and you are back to your loving and sweet self within minutes. You rush down to get ready for swimming lessons, and five minutes later the "failed flying test" is a distant memory or your day :)
Parker all of these qualities make you the little boy that we love so much. We wouldn't change a thing abut you and we are so blessed to get to watch you grow up and change everyday.
Happy 4th Birthday Buddy!
Prior Years......



2 comments:
Happy birthday, Parker!
Nikki- this was a great post. I think that Parker and Jameson must be a lot alike. He shares many of those same qualities...including the Dschaak Temper. Lucky us :)
Happy Birthday Parker! We love you tons and tons!
Uncle Chad, Auntie Tiff and Leah
Post a Comment