Tuesday afternoon I picked up the children from daycare. They had been visiting grandma and grandpa for a couple days and this was the first I'd seen of them in a couple days. We were driving home talking away when I looked up and there was a sheriff parked on the side of the road trying clock speeders. I looked down and saw that I was nearing 70mph in a 55 mph zone, and figured I was busted. I tried the whole slow down nonchalantly thing, but right as I past him he pulled out and I know it was over. The lights went on and I pulled over. As I was waiting for him to come to the window, I tried to warn Paige about what was going to happen. She's never witnessed a crime before. All of a sudden shes squirming everywhere trying to turn around in her chair to see him, and I'm all like.."Sit down...I want him to know you're properly buckled in."
So he gets to window and the conversation begins.
Sheriff: "Good afternoon mam, from the looks of your smile I'm guess you know why I pulled you over.
Myself: Yes, unfortunately I do. I was talking to my kids, looked up and there you were. Looked down and realized I was speeding.
Sheriff: Oh so you're blaming your children. I see. (He said this with a smile)
Myself: Well they're young enough that they won't remember.
Sheriff: I clocked you going 67 in a 55. I'll drop that down to 65 and it will be a $10 ticket today. Can I see your license, registration, and proof of insurance?
I start to look and realize that because we had just switched insurances - stuff was not where it was usually in the car. He took my license and said... I'll go run this and you can dig for your stuff.
Well a bit of time passes and all of a sudden two more cop cars drive past, make a u-turn, pull over, and park right by us on the side of the hiway. Now if you've ever driven by a car with a couple cops parked there what do you automatically think...YES.... DRUG BUST!!!! I'm sitting there PRAYING that no one I know will drive by and see the commotion because I am TOTALLY self conscious at this moment. I did find my registration and was just praying he would hurry things along. Not because I was in a hurry, but because I was mortified :)
Anyway....he finally comes back.
Myself: I hope you didn't call in backup on my account.
Sherriff : No they just pulled over to talk - we're out here on flood watch. Can I get you to sign this?
Myself: Yes, can I use your pen?
Sheriff: Yes but if you steal it, that would be a felony. This needs to be sent in within 10 days unless you want to fight it out in court.
I sign the ticket and hand it back to him.
He then proceeds to pull two sheriff stickers out of his back pocket and hands them to the kids.
Sheriff: This is for you, This is for You, and this is for your mommy. He hands me the ticket and ends with.... Have a great day, remember in Minnesota this would be $100 :)
Gotta give him props for being such a smart ass :)
Fast forward one hour....
Daddy walks into the house from work and Paige shows him her sticker.
Daddy: Oh where'd you get that?
Paige: Mommy got pulled over by the cop for driving too fast. We're lucky she didn't get arrested.
YES WE'RE LUCKY I DIDN'T GET ARRESTED!
Wednesday, April 20, 2011
We're lucky she didn't get arrested!
Written by Unknown at 9:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
Cute story Nikki! Paige was telling me about this on the car ride home today. Her version was "A really nice police officer pulled mommy over the other day, he gave Parker and I stickers... and mommy a ticket." She was smiling like the ticket was a good thing too. :-)
That Paige can always bring a smile to my face!
Kim said... Great story Nikki, you can always put a smile on my face too...
Funny :)
BEST EVER!!
Post a Comment